Journey cover insurance

CWU members are covered for injuries they may sustain on their way to or from work, away from the workplace on an authorised break and/or on their way to or from an after-hours Union meeting.

This cover is provided to members, free of charge and is managed by Windsor Management Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd, on our behalf.

Why are we continuing to provide this insurance?

The former Howard Government changed workers compensation laws –  allowing employers to refuse to pay compensation for employees who sustain injuries to and from work.

Additionally, workers who sustained an injury while on a meal break from a workplace also had their workers compensation limited.

This meant that if you suffered such an injury that kept you from work for weeks, you would have no income available to you after depleting your leave balance.

With this continued benefit, financial CWU members can rest easier knowing that they will have a degree of income support if they suffer journey related injuries or injuries experienced during an authorised meal break.

Under this scheme, up to 85 per cent of your normal weekly wage can be paid to you, to help you get by until you return to work.

While the scheme can’t neatly reproduce previous workers compensation benefits, it will certainly provide improved income support – and that means greater peace of mind for our members and their families.

Some frequently asked questions:

Who’s covered?

If you’re a financial member of the CWU Central Branch, you’re covered.

Is there any cost? Do I have to pay more for this?

This benefit is provided at no extra cost to you – if you’re a financial member, you’re covered by your membership dues.

How does it work?

This scheme will be especially valuable to those members who have run out of sick leave and annual leave – and experience an injury that will keep them from work (and an income) for more than two weeks.

If you experience a journey injury and will be off work for more than two weeks, complete a claim form and send it to our brokers. Naturally, they will require medical evidence to document the injury and the cause of it.

How do I notify a claim?

A claim form can be obtained by contacting the CWU main Office on (02) 9893 7822.

How long will it take for a claim to be approved?

The insurers have set a five-day service standard for claim consideration and response, once all required information has been received.

Is there a waiting period?

For a weekly benefit claim, benefits commence after the Waiting Period of 14 days.

What is the Weekly Benefit?

85% of your average gross weekly earnings, to a maximum of $1,500.

Will the payments recognize the amount of money I usually make from overtime?

The benefit is for 85% of your average gross weekly earnings (to a maximum of $1,500), taking into account overtime normally worked or bonuses earned.

What is the benefit period?

Weekly Benefits are payable up to a maximum of 104 weeks. The benefit term is reduced to 52 weeks if a claim for Weekly Benefits occurs after age 66, up to the age of 75.

What constitutes a work journey?

The following journeys are included under the definition of a work journey:

1) During morning and afternoon tea breaks and lunchtimes outside the place of work;

2) To and from home or place of work and lecture, seminar, professional development study activity or examination for which leave with pay has been granted;

3) Travel for the purposes of attending union meetings;

4) Officially sanctioned work related activities, provided always that there is no substantial deviation from the most reasonable direct route to or from.

How will I be paid?

The preferred method is via electronic deposit into your bank account – in line with your employer’s normal pay period (ie: fortnightly). However, contact Windsor Management Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd to discuss possible alternative arrangements.

Will this cover medical costs for treatment of my journey injury?

No. The scheme is mainly aimed at providing a level of income support that did not previously exist due to the changes in legislation.

Where can I get more information?

Should you require more information or have any further questions, please feel free to contact Eleisha Ifield at Windsor Management Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd on (07) 3230 9306 or the CWU office on (02) 9893 7822 for a copy of the Product Disclosure Statement

Together, we can deliver a better future